There were patients willing non invasive surgery for their sinus problem, we visit LA in 2005 was firstly presented this procedure in the American Academy Meeting. In 2007 we obtain the degree to practice it in Newcastle and we were the first ent andalusian who perform and was accredited for this surgery.It is similar to balloon angioplasty. Under general anesthesia, a "balloon" deflated, located at the end of a flexible catheter is inserted through the nostril into the canal or meatus blocked. Then the balloon is inflated and this causes the surrounding bones, which are very soft and malleable, suffer a tiny "cracks" in adapting to the elongated shape of the globe. Once the desired result, the balloon is deflated and removed. With these small fractures, the new, more wide, which receives the conduit, is durable, which prevents clogging can return to. During the operation also empties the sinuses in the secretion accumulated in them that may exist due to the aforementioned obstruction.
This technique (also endoscopic) is less invasive than traditional endoscopic surgery, in which cut pieces of tissue of the mucosa. He says the balloon sinuplasty not cause or scarring and recovery periods unpredictably long that often accompany traditional endoscopic surgery. The procedure causes no pain or swelling. Need not even enter the patient can return to work or school the next day. This operation is said to relieve pain and improve significantly the condition of sinusitis.
Technological Benefits Balloon sinuplasty
- Safe and Effective While use of any surgical instrument involves some risk, clinical studies have shown that balloon sinuplasty system is a safe and effective in relieving symptoms of sinusitis.
- Minimally Invasive The technology uses small, soft, flexible devices that are inserted through the nostrils. Devices gently open blocked sinus structures.
- 'Reduce Bleeding' In most cases it is necessary to remove tissue or bone, which reduces bleeding. As a result of this can be eliminated nasal packing.
- 'Fast recovery time'Although recovery time varies for each patient, most people return to normal activity in the next 24 hours of surgery.
- 'It does not limit treatment options' sinoplastia The balloon endoscopy is a tool and can be used along with other medical or surgical technique. It does not limit future treatment if you have a progressive disease.